Teaching your child to read is a fulfilling and rewarding experience. Teach your child how to read by introducing these kindergarten word families which illustrates cvc words with pictures. These are the first words a child reads with the help of phonics e.g., 3 letter CVC words ending with ab, ad, ag, am, an, ap, at, id, ig, in, ip, it etc. Words are presented with relevant pictures for quick learning.
Contents: CVC Words With Pictures, 3 Letter Rhyming Words, Kindergarten Word Families
- What are CVC words?
- CVC Words List
- CVC words with 'a' in the middle - Word Families (ab, ad, ag, am, an, ap etc.)
- CVC words with 'i' in the middle - Word Families (id, ig, in, ip, it etc.)
- CVC words with 'o' in the middle - Word Families (op, ot, og, ob, om, od, ox etc.)
What are CVC words?
CVC words OR Consonant-Vowel-Consonant Words are the words that are made up of a consonant, vowel and consonant sound e.g., h-a-t, b-a-t. These are the first words a child learns to read and write. They are the easiest to learn as they only use the letter sounds/phonics already learnt. Teach your child how to blend sounds to speak a word. Practice reading and writing these cvc words with your child to help him become a quick reader.
Tips for Parents/Teachers:
- Introduce your child to the sounds/phonics of each letter beforehand to help speak the word.
- It's important to introduce these cvc words, even before common sight words (e.g., the/a/this/where/what etc.). Gradually, you can start reading small sentences (and small stories) for your child which make use of these cvc words and introduce the sight words as they come. e.g., Pam is a cat. Pam is a fat cat. Pam, the fat cat, has a rat. The rat's name is Sam. Sam has a bat. Pam and Sam plays with the bat.
CVC Words List
- 'ab' Word Family: cab, dab, lab, nab, tab, swab
- 'ad' Word Family: bad, dad, had, lad, mad, pad, sad
- 'ag' Word Family: bag, lag, rag, tag, wag, nag
- 'am' Word Family: cam, dam, ham, jam, ram, yam
- 'an' Word Family: ban, can, fan, man, pan, ran, van
- 'ap' Word Family: cap, gap, lap, map, nap, rap, tap, zap
- 'id' Word Family: lid, hid, mid, kid, rid, did
- 'ig' Word Family: big, dig, fig, jig, Mig, pig, rig, twig, wig
- 'in' Word Family: bin, fin, kin, pin, sin, tin, win
- 'ip' Word Family: hip, lip, zip, tip, dip, rip
- 'it' Word Family: bit, fit, hit, kit, lit, pit, sit
- 'op' Word Family: cop, hop, mop, pop, top, chop, shop, crop, crop, stop, clop, flop, prop
- 'ot' Word Family: cot, dot, got, hot, lot, not, pot, rot, tot, knot, shot, spot, jot, blot, plot, slot
- 'og' Word Family: dog, hog, jog, log, fog, cog, frog, clog, smog, bog, blog, slog
- 'ob' Word Family: cob, job, mob, hob, rob, sob, knob, bob, gob, slob, snob
- 'od' Word Family: cod, god, nod, pod, rod, sod
- 'om' Word Family: mom, tom, pom
- 'ox' Word Family: ox, box, fox
Vowel 'a' Word Families - CVC Words Worksheets for words with 'a' in the middle
Vowel 'i' Word Families - CVC Words Worksheets for words with 'i' in the middle